8.5.10

13.1 DONE!

I should change the name of this blog to i RAN thirteen miles. And it was exhilarating! There are few times I've felt as awesome as I did this morning when I crossed the finish line. And truthfully the full trek down New York Street's "Victory Mile."

My official time was 2:50:56. That's with one bathroom break, two bumpy kisses from Brett and one giant hug at the finish line. Oh yes, and 13.1 miles of wind gusting up to 30 mph at times.

My run/walk interval plan worked. I ran the first 2 miles and then made myself walk roughly to the 2.5 mile point before starting to run again even though I knew I could have kept running. I did this throughout the entire race and when I got to the 12 mile mark I was able to run to the finish. And that last mile felt incredible. Don't get me wrong, I was beat by that time, but I was moving. And that final mile of today's half was mile 8 of the 15k last month, where I was in pain and walking.

In the final stretch the distance was marked. 3/4 mile. 1/2 mile. 1/4 mile. I found a burst of energy and booked it (well, in perspective) to the finish line. Except the banner marking the finish line had apparently blown away so I didn't even realize I'd finished until several strides later. No matter. By that time I'd heard Brett calling my name and ran over for an across the fence hug.

I may have to go back on my claim that I won't do another half-marathon. The high was incredible. And seriously? I just finished a half-marathon.



Registration is now open for the 2011 500 Festival Mini Marathon.

No comments:

Post a Comment